Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The River of Change

I have been reading a book my mom gave me called Broken Open and it has been very eye opening in the area of grief. Losing my dad and Hope to cancer in less than 2 years time qualifies me for delving pretty deep into the grief pool. I have never been the type of person to wallow in grief in the past, but I feel like these two deaths for me are too large and leave too big of a hole in my heart not to grieve sufficiently. I wanted to share something from the book that really has changed the way I think:

"Life is always changing; we are always changing. We live in a river of change, and a river of change lives within us. Every day we are given a choice. We can relax and float in the direction that the water flows, or we can swim hard against it. If we go with the river, the energy of a thousand mountain streams will be with us, filling our hearts with courage and enthusiasm. If we resist the river, we will feel rankled and tired as we tread water, stuck in the same place.

If we had the patience and a high-powered microscope, we could sit and stare at our hands and watch the river of change flowing through our own bodies right now. We could watch our cells changing and dying and being replaced, over and over and over. From year to year, every one of our cells is replaced. Literally, who we were yesterday is not who we are today. Our skin is new every month, our liver every six weeks. When we inhale, we breathe in elements from other organisms to create new cells, and when we exhale, we send parts of ourselves out into the atmosphere- into the living, breathing universe. "All of us," writes the medical doctor Deepak Chopra, "are much more like a river than anything frozen in time and space" "

So... as I change like a river I hope you all come along with me.....lay back and enjoy the ride with me. It sure beats floundering around and drowning...like I feel I have done for so long.

A side note:when I am done with this book, I hope to read Tori Spelling's new book on MommyWood....switch up the pace a bit...don't ya think? :)

2 comments:

Life is beautiful... Mostly said...

I totally believe we change every minute of everyday. We are forever growing, changing and becoming new people all the time. All our life experiences make us who we are and every single day is a new and joyous experience that we should cherish, even when it is tough handle. I will be floating right along with you, and enjoying the metamorphisis.

Jenny said...

I like this entry. Really did something for me. Thank you!