Thursday, January 31, 2008

Week in Review



Yes it's cliche but.... I "heart" New York. Always have. My dad's birthplace, the city that never sleeps, the center of the fashion/media universe. From St Patrick's Cathedral to Battery Park and of course Central Park..I have walked it all many many times loving every minute of it. This week, I did not one thing outside of work. Not that I couldn't have grabbed my sneakers and run out late at night or really early in the morning as I have done in the past (NOTHING, used to keep me from St Patrick's Cathedral, a few blocks from Mimeo). But this trip, I just couldn't do it.

I arrived at midnight to my hotel on Monday night and crashed for my first night of bad sleep for a few hours before I got up to head to our meeting. First of all, I snapped this picture for you my loyal readers.




This is the back seat of my cab with the TV and GPS for the passenger to watch. Am I getting too old for all this high tech stuff? I mean...shouldn't we all have our eyes looking up at the buildings and the city and gripping the seat for dear life as the cabbie speeds through Manhatten? Also, you can now pay by credit card swiping right there in the cab.




So, our meeting is in Times Square (the silver building in the center of the photo above). Let me tell you, this building was AMAZING. This was not Mimeo's office, but a building we held the meeting in, and the view of the city was breathtaking. Promptly at 9:00am all the ceiling to floor windows were covered with shades and the day of meetings began.


8 hours, 1 Dr Pepper, 5 bottles of water (yes the heat they blast in these rooms make me so dry) and 2 Tylenol later (headache from 8 hours in the dark staring at powerpoint slides) I jumped into the fatal elevator that I got stuck in for 45 minutes. No more need for the detail here, just know for 45 minutes I was suspended between the 4-5 floors coming down from the 42 floor with 12 of my now closest Mimeo friends. Once the doors opened I opted not to take the second bank of elevators with the same people down to the first floor and dragged my sweaty, close to hyperventalating self, down those 5 flights of stairs to rush into the cool January air. New York City air full of car fumes/resturant food was the greatest thing to fill my lungs when I tumbled out the doors onto the street. Praise the LORD! I shouted to the dark sky dimmed by the neon of Times Square.


Mimeo took us to a night of bowling as you saw from the previous post and then Wed I headed into the office to work with my team. Instead of sneaking out to sighstee I had Thai food for lunch and I was off to the airport early...to see my little Coop!


My flight was delayed twice, sat on the plane in front of drunks who spilled beer and were obnoxious the whole flight and I got home at midnight, only to again have the 3rd nights bad sleep in a row. Not sure what's up there. I am heading to bed now but the week feels like it flew by. Superbowl is Sunday, so we are exicted to see Nana and Papa this weekend and fill up on chicken wings and mini meatballs (Mere- I need Danny's recipe please!).


So...sorry I don't have grand stories of seeing celebrities, partying like a rock star or getting on the Today Show like in the old days. This old mommy worked, nursed a hangover from the drinking after the elevator episode and got her butt back on the first plane she could.


Back to this little guy :)


4 comments:

Myrtle's Mayhem said...

oh I just want to gooble up those chunky legs!! kisses kisses and more kisses Mr. Coop.

Just mix bbq sauce and grape jelly....toss in the meatballs and simmer in the crock pot girl! that's all you got to do!! Call if you want more details...but I don't think he measures anything!

mere

Hope said...

Mere took the words right out of my mouth...I love chunky baby legs!

Loved your post and hearing about NY. Talk to you soon.

robinbrittagain said...

click your heals and say "there's no place like home!" welcome back! i have no doubt you were missed!!

Life is beautiful... Mostly said...

I heart New York too. Can't believe you can swipe your credit card in a cab now. Amazing! Glad you returned safe and sound to your family! Isn't great to be home!